Sunday, July 03, 2005

Silver Bridge


I ran across this picture on the web the other
day and it brought back childhood memories.
This is a bridge that spanned the Ohio River,
but collapsed in 1967, killing 46 Christmas
travellers. It was even featured in the recent
movie, "The Mothman Prophecies". It wasn't
the real bridge in the movie obviously, but a
duplicate made for Hollywood. Anyway, the
picture above is a scan of a postcard. The
exact same postcard I bought in 1970-something
on a vacation to Ohio. Why anyone would make
a postcard of a bridge that collapsed and killed
46 people, who knows, but I guess people sell
and buy postcards of the Hindenburg or the
World Trade Center, so who knows. I just
found it funny that someone else actually bought
this postcard besides me, and I bought it because
I thought it was a neat picture of "some bridge".

No comments: