Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Ka-Boom!



While reading one of my favorite blogs today,

http://www.gapersblock.com

I came across this link that was morbidly
interesting.
The Google Map, Apocalypse Edition.

http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/
gmap/hydesim.html

It basically lets you put the coordinates
of your hometown into the program and lets
you know how you would fare if a 100 kiloton
blast hit your vicinity. (Roughly 7 times
the Hiroshima blast)This is a rather strange
way to make use of the internet I admit, but
is still amazing in a creepy way. I put
Grand Junction's longitude and latitude in
the space allotted and I feel confident that
we would be vaporized in fractions of a second.
Good to know that I wouldn't have to stock up
on SPF 30 or worry about my face falling off
from radiation several days after. It also
reminded me of growing up in the Chicago area
during the 70's during the later days of the
Cold War. Because we lived less than an hour
from the city and 1/2 hour from the steel
mills of Gary and the oil refineries of
Whiting, our area was known to be targeted
by dozens of Russian missiles. Upon finding
this out, my Dad commented that we would
probably set up lawn chairs in the front
yard to watch the show since it wouldn't do
any good to run. (I know where I received my
cynical side from) In this day and age, I'm
not really worried about an attack on Grand
Junction, but I don't have any lawn chairs.
Hmmm...I think I have other things more
important to worry about.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yup, that's pretty morbid, but unfortunately something we need to be prepared for these days, what with crazy psycho's running aroung with nuke materials.

Anonymous said...

not to mention the ones from other countries too