Sunday, February 11, 2007

The Tower of Power


Last night I was walking back from Hut Point
when the American Tern was getting ready to
leave port. My winter boss, Eileen was working
in the Tower, also known as the Tower of Power
with her Kiwi counterpart, Jobby. She saw me
walking by and waved at me to come inside the
tower. The tower is on the edge of the Ice Pier
and is used to help coordinate the movements
during the Offload. It's final function of the year
is to help guide the cargo ship out of port.



I see the tower almost every day from our dorm
but hadn't been inside before. It's nothing fancy.
Just a few rooms inside a small building with a
control tower on top. However it was fun to know
that only 3 people (including me) out of over 900
on station were able to watch the ship leave from
the tower. All about being in the right place at the
right time.

No comments: