Sunday, April 29, 2007

Firewood Shin-Dig


Last night I went to the Firewood Shin-Dig. It was the
first fairly big party of the Winter and I'd say 2/3 of
the station as well as a good smattering of Kiwis were
there. It was pretty much a good excuse for people to
get together to eat a lot of food, drink some beer and
listen to some good music.


Tom (the other Tom on Station), Linda and Ken prepped a
huge feast at the beginning of the party. There were two
roast hogs (small hogs, not the Memphis barbecue variety),
baked beans with bacon and potato salad. Linda made possibly
the best potato salad I've ever had, rivaling even my Mom's.
Ok...rivaling...not surpassing...but close. I had seconds.


After all of the good eats, a couple of bands played that have
gotten together this year. The first band was more of a Blues
band, including Jeff, who played a mean harmonica. The other
band had a few members that were coming and going but basically
featured Nathan on lead guitar and vocals. He said he was going
for a Freddie Mercury-type look but we thought he looked more
like Frank Zappa with 6 inch platform shoes. He definitely has
a stage presence and is the best amateur guitarist I've heard in
a while, although I've heard he's played pro with a few bands in
the Portland area. Nonetheless, all the musicians were talented
and I think everyone had a great time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! MY mom makes the best potato salad. Do you think they have the same recipe?

Tom said...

I'd say that's probably a very good chance!