Friday, December 21, 2007

¿Dónde está...?


You would think that a county whose population is 6% Hispanic,
would have a larger selection of Hispanic foods in the grocery
stores. Until today, I found that most supermarkets' idea of
Mexican food was "Old El Paso". Adequate if you're not used
to real Mexican food like you get out West. However, not
exactly authentic. Don't get me wrong. I'm not that much of a
Mexican food snob. We ate lunch at Taco Bell today and I think
it's the 6th time I've eaten Taco Bell since early November.
However, I do like to cook and eat the real thing. Today I
found a half aisle of Mexican food at Town and Country Market
in Valparaiso. And they had items other than Old El Paso, Pace,
and Ortega. They had HATCH! Hatch has some of the best product
you can get for making authentic New Mexican food. Town and
Country even had half a dozen different brands of tortillas.
Both flour and corn. No blue corn, but you can't have every-
thing. Needless to say, I was impressed and happy that decent
Mexican products have finally found their way to a grocery store
in Northwest Indiana. Maybe someday blue corn tortillas will
be here as well.

No comments: