Thursday, July 13, 2006

Knock On Wood



I dodged a bullet today. I received a blue screen of death
when I turned on my computer this morning. As my computer
can be temperamental at times, I re-booted and was then told
that it didn't recognize any hard drive and could not boot.
ARRRGGGGHHHH! A couple weeks ago I had transferred all of
my digital photos (tens of thousands of them!) to my external
hard drive, so I wasn't horrified, but was pretty darned
alarmed. There were a few files on the computer that I didn't
want to lose. Especially all of the photos I'd taken since
we moved to Grand Junction. After trying several things,
including removing and re-seeding the hard drive, I scrounged
around the house and found a Windows 98 boot disk. I run on
Windows 2000, but I thought it was worth a shot. I placed
it in my CD-Rom drive (which also is temperamental)...
AND IT WORKED! I was SO relieved. I immediately backed up
my whole computer onto my external drive. Then...the moment
of truth. I tried to re-boot without the Win 98 boot disk.
AND IT WORKED...three times now. So, all is well...for now.
Knock On Wood.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. They say that dead hard drive lies in each of our futures, but so far I've avoided the experience. Glad you were able to make it work.