Thursday, December 27, 2007

Leopard With Bad Spots


A couple of weeks ago, while we were in Denver, we went
to the Apple Store and purchased Leopard. This is the
new upgrade to Mac OS X. For those unfamiliar with Macs,
this is similar to upgrading from Windows XP to Windows
Vista or from Windows 98 to Windows XP. Same programming
language...just new bells and whistles. You get the idea.
Anyway, after bringing it back to Indiana, I tried to install
it. Nope...wouldn't recognize the disk. Nothing was wrong
with my MacBook's DVD drive as it would read other software
or DVDs. Plus, what was aggravating is that even though
it wouldn't read on my computer, it would read on Lynn's
Mac G4. Arrgh...curiouser and curiouser. Unfortunately,
the closest Apple Store to Hebron is in Orland Park, Illinois.
This is only about 75 minutes away so it's not tortuous, but
far enough to be inconvenient. Regardless, Lynn and I got
into the car, drove there and what do you know? As so as
I try it in the store...it works. Isn't it always that way?
Kind of like getting your car worked on. It doesn't make
"That Noise" when the mechanic is listening. Needless to
say, I didn't get replacement software for something that
"wasn't defective". Ahh...but you can probably guess where
this story is going next. When I got home...it didn't work!
Yes, big surprise there. After pleading, wishing and even
some praying, it finally started. Ok...If I've learned
something in my 42 years, it's to be careful what you wish
for. About 1/4 of the way through the upgrade...it stops,
and tells me that it can't continue. I get a black screen of
death that won't let me enter the operating system. Basically,
I am screwed. I finally decide to re-install the original
OS X that came with my MacBook and although there are a couple
of small glitches that I should be able to address, it's back
to normal with everything intact. I lucked out. As a rule,
always keep your installation disks handy. That goes for
both Mac and PC users alike. However, this still doesn't
solve my problem of having semi-expensive (at least to me)
software that doesn't work and no Apple Store nearby. With
gasoline at $3.07 per gallon, a 60 mile trip is no small
feat. I'll have to scratch the brain to think about what I
can do. In the meantime, I'm staying away from Leopard. It's
bite is much worse that its bark...I mean growl.

2 comments:

Lori Murray said...

Bummer, I hate upgrades. I did the ME to XP, which worried me enough I took my computer into the shop in town and did it there (plus they have a faster internet connection). Actually it went just fine, which amazed me.

Just bought a new computer yesterday though. So when I get home I need to transfer all the data from one to the other. YUCK, that's going to be a pain.

Anonymous said...

Maybe Microsoft should run a smear campaign similar to the one that Apple is running right now, letting people know that people are downgrading their macs as well. Ah, who am I kidding...Microsoft wouldn't be that juvenile.