Saturday, April 04, 2009

Hummingbird Coffee


There's been quite a boom in the Cafe business in Christchurch.
I read an article the other day that there are now twelve coffee
roasters in Christchurch. With the Recession marching toward
New Zealand, I'm not sure how all of the cafes are going to stay
open, but coffee has definitely made it's place in a tea-drinking
country and shows no signs of slowing down. Today, we went
to Oddfellow's Cafe for lunch. It was formerly the Oddfellow's
Hall and is home to a great little lunch/breakfast place as well
as the Roastery for Hummingbird Coffee. I've been drinking
Hummingbird off and on since we've been coming to New
Zealand and after trying lots of different roasters here, I think
it's probably my favorite. I had a Long Black with my meal and
it was the best I've had in the last six weeks. A Long Black is
essentially two shots of espresso with a bit of water. Similar
to an Americano but less water. Many of the roasts here have a
tendency to be bitter but not this one. I'll miss Hummingbird
over the next six months, but there are plenty of coffee
drinking opportunities on the horizon.

No comments: