Friday, June 26, 2009

Ruins, Ruins and More Ruins


Just outside of Cusco, Peru lies the Sacred Valley, which
was the traditional homeland of the Inca Empire. I
definitely got my inner archaeology geek on as we
visited eight different ruins, all different from each
other in form and function.


Sacsayhuamán - Located just above Cusco, it served as
a fortress, with some stones weighing over 70 tons!


Q'enqo - Servied as a sacred sanctuary to fertility


Q'enqo


Puka Pukara - Used as a road control, administrative center, military
headquarters and food warehouse


Puka Pukara


Tambomachay - A resort for Inca royalty that included baths


Tambomachay


Chinchero - A farming center with large terraces


Moray - a huge number of circular concentric farming terraces, each
with it's own microclimate!


Moray


Ollantaytambo - An example of Pre-Columbian urban planning, is
one of the few places the Incas defeated the Spanish Conquistadors


Ollantaytamo


Pisac - A huge amount of farming terraces. We took a several
hour long hike through these ruins that kicked our butts at
over 11,000 feet in elevation.


Pisac


Pisac

2 comments:

Benjamin said...

I liked the food warehouse.

Anonymous said...

Cusco is an amazing city, I was a week and I could know a lot of places like Sacred Valley of Incas, Machu Picchu, and the Fortress of Sacsayhuaman and Ollantaytambo. Also, the food is delicious and people great. During my time in this wonderful city I stayed in Libertador Hotel which I recommend because has an excellent service. They helped me to organize all my tours. Its website is http://www.libertador.com.pe/en/2/1/2/cusco-hotel if you want more information.