Thursday, August 16, 2007

Quotes From Antarcticans


People here have frustrations with everyday life,
just like in the "real" world. A few folks have
said some really funny, poignant quotes the past
few weeks that are definitely unique to the Ice.

I go in on my own time, on my day off

Six day work weeks are the norm and for many, working
on a seventh day certainly isn't unheard of. So when
someone tells you you have to report at a certain time
on the only day you have off, you get a bit indignant
when they tell you exactly when you have to report.
Time off is very precious here.

I live out of a suitcase when I'm off the Ice,
I don't want to live out of a suitcase when I'm on the Ice


We are a migrant people, us Ice folks. Even though
we own a house, we haven't been there for a year.
When we do leave the Ice, we're typically traveling
and even when visiting relatives, most of our clothes
stay in our suitcases. For better or worse, this is
"home" to many of us. So we certainly aren't going
to live out of a suitcase when being "asked" to move
rooms...we do that enough when we're not "home"

Of course everyday life for most Ice people isn't
really the same as everyday life is for most people.

By the way, I'm not a communist. I just liked this
photo of a huge Soviet statue that used to stand in
Russia.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Robust Soviet deodorant is vastly superior to decadent capitalist substance. Red Guard! Made from cabbage cut by comrade farmers and ground under our glorius tanks by heroic comrade soldiers!"
-- ad from Pravda