Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Happy Flag Day!












A friend of mine, that I worked with in Antarctica wished me a Happy Flag Day this morning.  It's the 14th year straight that he is done so.  

I am a flag nerd, and I'm ok with that.  During a recent job interview, I was asked what my passion was.  I told them it was Vexillology (The study of flags).  I probably should have said something canned, in a very Miss America pageant-way like "I love helping people", or "I want to save the Earth".  At the very least, I probably taught them a new word for that day and something they might have talked about at the dinner table.  No.  I didn't get the job.  

As for our flag.  It's more than a piece of cloth.  It's a symbol of a people.  E Pluribus Unum. Although I see American flags flying much more predominately here in the United States, than in many other countries, I think a lot of people have forgotten what people have given over the years for the ability to fly this flag.  Up to, and including, giving their lives.  It truly is one thing we can all rally around, no matter our differences.