Friday, July 29, 2011

Powell's City of Books


I don't have enough superlatives to describe Powell's City of Books
in Portland. It takes up a whole city block in the Pearl District, and is
is the largest independent bookstore in the world. It covers 1.6 acres
and they have over four million new, used and rare books in their
inventory. It's also my favorite bookstore...ANYWHERE!


You can literally (ha) get lost in this place. Each section of the
store is color coded (like a subway system) and stairways go
everywhere (visualize Escher architecture)
I could spend days in the travel section alone. While most stores
have the typical titles, Powell's has some pretty obscure stuff as
well.


World Cup Roasters is their coffee supplier and their cafe is a fun
place to be amongst other readers, enjoying a good cup of caffeine.


Yes...I am a geek. I bought a Powell's T-Shirt. Who else would
wear a T-Shirt advertising their favorite bookstore besides me?

No comments: